This is set of leveled paired passages or texts with reading comprehension tests, short response questions, and extended writing prompts. The included texts are non-fiction. Two of the texts are based on the actual testimony given at the trials, although the texts have been rewritten in modern English. The extended writing prompt provided is for opinion writing. Targeted reading levels are 4th – 6th.
This product is designed to help students practice for state reading and writing tests such as FSA and MACS. This resource could also be used as part of a unit on the American Revolution. Teachers can choose how to use this product.
Included are 5 different texts. 4 of the texts are provided on 3 different reading levels. The other text is appropriate for all levels.
In order to differentiate, the leveled passages are provided at three different reading lexile levels:
- Level A – Low, 4th grade level
- Level B – Medium, 5th grade level
- Level C – High, 6th grade level
Students read about the night of the Boston Massacre, then decide whether the British soldiers or the colonists caused the Boston Massacre. Students write an opinion essay stating their opinion and supporting it with text evidence. (6th grade teachers could easily have students write an argumentative essay.)
4 texts are about what happened on the night of the Boston Massacre. They can be used together for the writing or used separately.
Two reading comprehension tests are included. One has 6 multiple choice questions and 2 short response. The other has 3 multiple choice questions and 1 short response.
The last text summarizes the verdicts from the jury trials of Captain Preston and the other British soldiers. It is provided on 3 reading levels. Teachers can read this with students after they finish their opinion essay.
Teachers can differentiate this assignment in different ways:
- Use different reading levels as appropriate.
- Vary the number of passages given to students. There are 4 texts that can be used for the paired passages writing.
- They could just use the summary passage and the Testimony of the Colonists passages.
- They could also use the Testimony of Captain Preston and the Timeline of Events.
- The Testimony of the Colonists could also be adjusted to only use the first page instead of both sides.
What is included in this product?
- Timeline of Events in Boston Passage – in 3 levels
- The Boston Massacre Passage – in 3 levels
- Testimony of Captain Preston Passage – in 3 levels
- Testimony of the Colonists Passage – appropriate for all levels
- The Verdicts of the Boston Massacre Trials Passage – in 3 levels
- 6 reading comprehension and 2 short response questions for The Boston Massacre Passage
- 3 reading comprehension and 1 short response questions for the Testimony of Captain Preston Passage
- Answer Key for all questions
- The Boston Massacre Extended Writing Response
- Opinion Writing Rubric
- Standards Covered by this Product
- Testing Cover Page
- Testing Bubble/Answer Sheet
- Final Essay Blank Writing Paper
Please see the preview for even more information and pictures of this product.