American History Paired Reading Passages Bundle: Informational & Opinion/Argumentative Writing
This bundle of 7 paired passages units focuses on topics in American History from U.S. geography through westward expansion (1860s.) The bundle includes 4 informational writing units and 3 opinion writing units.
The included texts are non-fiction. Three or four texts are included in each unit. The texts are included on three reading levels: 4th, 5th, and 6th.
The passages in each unit related to the American history period and an extended writing prompt. The extended writing prompts provided are for informational and opinion/argumentative writing. (Each unit focuses on one or the other.) Targeted reading levels are 4th – 6th.
This product is designed to help students practice for state reading and writing tests such as FSA and MACS. This resource could also be used as part of a social studies unit. Teachers can choose how to use this product.
In order to differentiate, the leveled passages are provided at three different reading lexile levels:
- Level A – Low, 4th grade level
- Level B – Medium, 5th grade level
- Level C – High, 6th grade level
Teachers can use 2 – 4 texts with each writing prompt. Teachers can pick which topics fit their standards or decide which passages best meet the needs of their students.
Reading comprehension tests are included. They include multiple-choice questions and short response questions. Teachers can use these or skip them, depending on how they want to use the unit.
Teachers can differentiate this assignment in different ways:
- Use different reading levels as appropriate.
- Vary the number of passages given to students.
- Assign groups to become experts on one topic, then teach the others. (Jigsaw)
- Use the texts in centers to break up the reading into smaller chunks. One center could be teacher-led.
What is included in this product?
- 7 Paired Passage Units
- 3 – 4 passages in each unit, included on 3 levels
- Extended writing response questions for either informational or opinion/argumentative writing
- Reading Comprehension Tests
- Answer Key for all questions
- Writing Rubrics
- Standards Covered by this Product
- Testing Cover Page
- Opinion Writing Rubric
- Argumentative Writing Rubric
- Testing Bubble/Answer Sheet
- Final Essay Blank Writing Paper